Friday, March 18, 2011

Go Veggies!

This has been ellefnuJy
That's my slogan for this summer. I'm turning to pesco-lacto-ovo vegetarian diet. Why? At first, it was because I saw my friend, a fellow nutrition student lost a lot of weight just by doing it. He actually did it because he pity the pigs being slaughtered when he saw one. But now, my reason is I got scared for my life. I learned that a family member has diabetes and will undergo a right leg amputation on Sunday night. We get high risk for diabetes especially when it is hereditary. Even if not, we can still acquire Type II diabetes milletus in our adolescence years and even more, when we get old (like 55 y.o. for women and 45 y.o for men).

So, I just wanted to be careful as according to the Asia-Pacific standard, I'm obese. So, I have to lose weight through increasing my fiber, lowering my carbohydrates and fat intake. There's a great risk actually for this diet as protein is compromised. Animal sources of protein have high biological value (HBV), meaning it is well-absorbed and used by the body. That's why there's "pesco" which means fish. Though, protein from fish are not as high as those from pork and beef, still it has a high HBV. Afterall, there are good sources of plant proteins - nuts and legumes. I think I'll eat a lot of them, but not tofu which is considered as the meat substitute. I just don't like its taste.

I will also eat a lot of fruits as I really love eating fruits - they're also high in fiber and vitamins and minerals. :) but I'm thinking that gradually, I will switch to lacto-ovo vegetarian diet, may be after I've adjusted well :)



                           my favorite vegetable! can't wait to eat lots of them this summer!

pictures are from:
http://www.cosmeticsurgeryandbeauty.com/content/super-vegetables
http://sweeneysgardens.com/images/
http://ilonggolivingincanada.com/?p=1878
http://www.openletters.in/eating-fruits/
http://www.photoshopstar.com/text/water-drop-text-effect/
 

| FAITH. HOPE. and Junfelle LOVE | Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos