Of course, we had lots of sources of these. So here are mine:
From Mama (the most practical-minded person I've ever known): Don't get a boyfriend til you finish med school. Focus on your studies first.
comment: the first part was sort of a command. I think if I won't obey, she'll be racing here or wherever I am at the moment once she learns it and put me inside a sack. Mama's really a disciplinarian. But who knows, maybe God has other plans for me.
From Mama (again): Learn to budget and spend your money wisely. Know your priorities.
Comment: She said this when I was asking if it's ok to buy this and that. Well, that advise stopped me from buying unnecessary things.
From Mama (a Mother's advice): Look for someone like your Papa, one who never drinks nor smokes. In short, someone who has no vices and a man of God.
Comment: Siyempre! (definitely!) I wouldn't want to risk my life with a drunkard and a smoker. Besides, I saw the families that God built. Amazing!
From Papa (always agreeable but I'm more scared on him than Mom): Keep your faith strong. Don't quarrel with someone about faith. Instead of you planting a seed to that person, you may end up to be the one questioning your faith.
Comment: He told me this when I was stumbling, questioning God. I was easily hurt when somebody told something bad about my "religion." I'm super defensive. But now that I learned that religion cannot save us but only God's grace can, I understood Papa's advice better. Those quarrels were/are temptations of the devil to let us fall into sin.
From Papa (a father's advice): (he didn't advise this directly. but I guess, he wants us to learn this) Always keep the whole family strong (even with 3rd degree cousins). Know your kins.
Comment: That's how I became family-oriented. (Most Filipinos are)
From Papa (a challenge actually): You chose to be challenged, then challenge yourself to overcome the challenge.
Comment: really challenging! This advice was given over several times whenever I felt I can't do it or I'm too tired of meeting my academic requirements. And up until now, I think Papa knows that I still have to be reminded of this always.
From my Victory Leaders (there's a lot actually): Choose your Battles.
Comment: I love this advice. I learned to let go of some people. I learned to see who to invest on.
From my Victory Leaders (#2): Pray in whatever you do.
comment: I sometimes forget. But with God's grace, I can make it a habit.
from my Victory leaders (#3): anchor your life to godly people.
comment: that's why I have them as my friends, coaches and mentors.
from my Victory Leaders (#4): dancing is passion, an expression of worship to God.
Comment: and I will dance forever for the Lord!
from my Victory leaders (#5): read lots of books to widen your perspective. Envision!
Comment: I totally agree!
From my professors: 1. learn to love what you're doing.
2. Read in advance
3. try to see in wider perspective
4. Respect other's time.
Comment: :D we just got the best professors :D
__________________________________________________________________________________
and there's a lot more of course. and I learned from life as well. from my many mistakes and from my triumphs.