Friday, February 25, 2011

The Essence of the Filipino Youth

This has been ellefnuJy
Ako ay Pilipino,
Buong katapatang nanunumpa sa watawat
ng Pilipinas,
At sa bansang kanyang sinasagisag,
Na may dangal, katarungan at kalayaan,
Na pinakikilos ng sambayanang
Maka-Diyos, Maka-kalikasan, Makatao at
Maka bansa.

I remember reciting this vow entitled "Panunumpa sa Watawat ng Pilipinas" in front of our classrooms during the flag ceremony everyday. It was very routinely I guess that I didn't even care much of the words in this vow. Now that I'm in college, in 4th year college, I tried reciting this again for the benefit of this blog but I ended reciting the first line only and remembering that there's a part that says about being Godly (Makadiyos), environmentally-concerned (Makakalikasan), respecful to people (Makatao) and patriotic (Makabansa).

Entering in college, there is no flag ceremonies I am required to attend. Instead, I just get by and rarely thinking of this particular gradeschool/high school routine. And here I am blogging about such things.

Remember "panatang makabayan"? If you don't, let me remind you and me:

Iniibig ko ang Pilipinas,
aking lupang sinilangan,
tahanan ng aking lahi;
kinukupkop ako at tinutulungan
maging malakas, masipag, at marangal.
Dahil mahal ko ang Pilipinas,
diringgin ko ang payo ng aking mga magulang,
susundin ko ang tuntunin ng paaralan,
tutuparin ko ang tungkulin ng mamamayang makabayan;
naglilingkod, nag-aaral, at nagdarasal
nang buong katapatan.
Iaalay ko ang aking buhay, pangarap,pagsisikap
sa bansang Pilipinas

Up until now, I thought the title was the first line of the vow.

It's amazing how our education system would inculcate in us the value of patriotism. From gradeschool, we were taught these vows and these songs, depicting the love for our beloved country. We were even asked to memorize folk songs, familiarize folk lores, epics and legends. Most importantly, the part I enjoyed most was we were asked to perform folk dances, relating it to the culture of the people where it originated. Wow!

But come college. I'm very thankful that I am studying in UP where we were being prepared to serve the people. I don't know about the other universities and colleges. I guess this is a UP-bias post. But one thing's for sure, UP is not just the university that caters, as they say, some of the bests in the country, but it is the university for the country and for its people. And it must remain that way.

When the news came out about the 2 years of service requirement for UP students, I wasn't worried. I was joyful. After all, the people paid for my education and they deserve to be served. Yes, I have a subsidized education! Before, I couldn't accept this because our batch was the first to be hit with the tuition fee increase - from 300php/unit to 1000php/unit. That's a lot of increase. But even so, getting the best education in the country, the 1000php/unit is not gonna pay it all. Having the best professors and acquiring critical thinking skills are some of things we are getting from the UP education. I'm sure other schools in the country do too. Every university should mold young minds to serve the country and its people and not their own pockets.

So, the essence of the Filipino Youth? They're the future of the motherland. Yes, it's cliche but it's what it is. I remember this popular lyrics "we are the children of yesterday's dream". And we hold the future. If you think the previous generation failed to bring out the best of the Philippines, will you sit still and watch the country crumbling? Shouldn't you be there in a class listening and enjoying the discussion while learning something new? Shouldn't you be grateful on the education you are getting? Yes, I believe I am reading your mind. Some may say the education we are getting was mediocre. It's mediocre and it will remain that way if we don't challenge ourselves to learn more and to discover more. We have great minds, you know!

It has always been an issue that we don't have the best educators because they all flew abroad and serve as nurses, caregivers, etc. Then, I believe we have belittled our past, present and future educators. Who taught those individuals now in abroad? Aren't they the sweet teacher in your gradeschool or the strict teacher in your high school or the terror professor in your college? I can't forget those teachers and professors that at one time would challenge us to be the citizens we ought to be.

Yes, the Filipino youth holds the future. and so, it saddened me yesterday upon hearing the reply of a good friend on underage adolescents smoking. Her reply was, "what do we expect, it's metro manila." wow! until now, those words are ringing in my ears. I was dismayed by the smoking of this underage teens but even more dismayed and really made my heart broke on the low expectations we have for the Filipino youth, for ourselves.

So, the essence of the Filipino youth must be clear in every Filipino so that every youth will value what they are given and every adult will value the youth like gold bars waiting to be shaped.

The essence of the Filipino youth must always be in every Filipino's mind so that every time we see streetchildren, we will be reminded to pray for them. Prayer is a very powerful tool to make change.

The essence of the Filipino youth is the essence of the future of the Philippines.
 

| FAITH. HOPE. and Junfelle LOVE | Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos