I remembered Stacie Orrico's song "More to Life." I personally love this song as it tells us that what we see are just nothing compared to what is ahead and beyond this life.
Today I celebrate my 22nd birthday. And just like any other year, I tried to make it interesting. this year is an entirely different story.
I contemplated at how I celebrated my past birthdays. Before I ended up studying in college, I usually celebrate my birthday with my family. sometimes we would invite few friends to come over and there were times when it was only the five us. For 16 years, it was like that. I felt happy, very contented. Having a complete family on your birthday is far way better than any other gift.
Come college and I have to depart and set off to the National Capital Region. I was excited really and looking forward. When it was my birthday, my first birthday away from my family, it was friends that made me extra special. Not that I did not miss my family but that, these treasured friends of mine went out of their way to surprise me. and I love surprises. It may be because of the dorm culture/spirit that we, dormers always throw a party. Or maybe because we were just like each other, only had each other back then as our family was in our provinces. Nevertheless, that day was really unforgettable for me. what's more, it rained that day.
On my 2nd celebration here in NCR, wasn't a bang but still precious to me. I remember that I was really not in the mood of celebrating. I just let my friends greet me and I gratefully thanked them for remembering. I had an exam that day. It's not just any other exam; I had an ORGANIC CHEMISTRY exam. I thought in high school chemistry was easy, but organic chemistry made me think otherwise. It was not my kind of chem. We had no chemistry. But the same friends from last year knocked at our room in the middle of the night. As I opened, they surprised me with still the same happy faces and a single rose. And that really made up my entire day, my entire exam day. It was my 18th birthday.
It didn't stop there though. My parents insisted to still have a celebration. So, I ended up celebrating it with a karaoke and some really delicious food, cooked by a really close relative. I celebrated it along with the same set of friends, some high school friends who were around and our only close relatives in the city. and it's a fact that it was really differently enjoyable.
and again, it still didn't stop there. My father's siblings, my Titas/Aunts, insisted for me to have a debut. I was the first daughter, the first granddaughter, first niece; it meant something for them. So, again, I ended up celebrating it on December 30, 2008 at the front of our house with a bigger guest list ranging from churchmates, elementary and high school classmates and friends. Of course, it was a tear-jerking moment. and I admit I'm a crybaby and that event was just so... It was something that made me feel how loved I was and still am.
My 19th birthday was complicated as well. I celebrated it with different set of friends at different times. and all the while, I laughed and really had fun. the first was with my course-mates where we ended up eating at KFC and trying out wigs on a department store (and I'm laughing remembering how goofy we were). 2nd celebration was with my closest church friends. We ate at a pizza restaurant located at Technohub. I cannot remember if it was Pizza Hut or Shakeys. I loved being around with these lovely ladies. Finally, the last one was celebrating it with the friends who surprised me two years ago and even a year ago. Yes, they were the same faces, only a little mature. Although one of us, my bestfriend, wasn't able to attend for she was on an exchange program that time. You see, it was always this season that this movie series was shown. Yes, that's right, the Twilight series. I can't remember if it was the Eclipse or the New Moon that was being shown. Anyway, I was forced to watch as one of us, my first ever roommate, really loved the series. But hey, it was worth it especially with those unbelievably pretty friends around me. Hahaha
Another year had passed and I was 20. I was working as a resident assistant that time with my forever partner, my bestfriend. Finishing one of our task - bedcheck, I immediately went to our room and do something else but then one of our colleague knocked and asked for my help, claiming that one of the residents had to go to the hospital and I should be the one to accompany her. It usually happened, yes. But I really smelled something fishy so I answered, "Weh?" and laughed. But she insisted that she was urgent and so, I complied. As I was entering the lobby, I was confused why the lights were all off. Sure, it should be off, but not at that time of the night. and then, right there and then, there was light. but it wasn't fluorescent light as it should be. these were candle lights. I was super touched. My bestfriend surprised me again along with some residents. They played a song, a resident played the violin and another one, not sure thought, played the flute for me. and there was dancing. it was total entertainment for me. It was one of the sweetest moment that I think I wouldn't forget. I had to meet my cousin on that day as well. I was happy of course as she's family. But I had to really stay up late for her. I was happy because she's there and I love her. but I was really sad because the timing of the situation wasn't right. Anyway, I still enjoyed my day.
last year, celebrating my birthday took a different course. I was already done with my Philippine General Hospital (PGH) practicum. It was like a thorn taken out from my vital organs. Hahaha. It was that hard. So, I was just bum in the apartment that I and 8 other course-mates rented for the time being. I had the same birthday as one of them and so we celebrated it together. But not all of us were present, some did not have a duty and so they went home. But still we celebrated it with whoever's there and whoever's willing to eat up. It was November 19, I think. and on the day of my birthday, I decided to go to MOA to meet up a cousin, not the same cousin. but oh well, we ended up not seeing each other. But I was in MOA, so, I made the best out of it. I took pictures at whatever that fascinated me and even wanted to go watch movie alone. But oh well, that movie series occupied almost all of the cinema. and I didn't want to watch, as you can now see, I wasn't really a fan. It really dismayed me. I stayed up late there, watching entertainers and people busy with their own thing. It was really a different course.
And here I am now, typing my probably 2nd to the last paragraph. Here I am now, another year older. I received calls from family and some friends today and of course text messages and FB greetings. they don't know it but it really meant a lot for me, as I was emotionally unstable for the past months. Honestly speaking, the weight of Med school was heavier because I was far away from my family and my friends. It was really hard having to not have someone to have heart-to-heart talks. Sure, I did make friends here and these friends are also precious to me but I think we are still not that comfortable to talk deeper things with each other. But I would really love to hear a lot from them.
Anyway, this shouldn't end with a sad tone. But really today was something new. I was reminded that I wasn't alone and should accept the things around me. kasi minsan, we felt lonely because we convince ourselves that we are when we're not, when there are a lot of things to do and a lot of people to meet and appreciate. and so, I told myself that today, for my 22nd birthday, I will make this day extra special for the people who made me special.
to Papa and Mama..
to Jam-Jam and Aye...
to Nina and the Paraluman Conspiracy (Shine, Sandy, Rosh and Tish)
to my Pilapil Family (Titas, Titos and cousins)
to my Macalam Family (Titas, Titos, cousins and nieces)
to my Lolo Berto Pilapil
to my Lola Luz Macalam
to KRISCIANELLAS (Tin, Yanie, Yanna, Sarah and Sielley)
to my Community Nutrition batchmates (esp. Chony, Sarah, Ayen, Lyn, Ionee)
to Amazing Grace Baptist Church family (esp. the WMU, ate Gayle and Cute)
to Victory family (esp. Ate Bea, Beryl and Jica)
to my Medicine Section-mates (esp. Bem, Airah, Hapee and Ate Mericarr)
to my every friends...
Madamo gid nga salamat. You guys are God's gift especially for me. Thank you for helping me grow up and build my character. I appreciate you and the things you did for me, may it be great surprises or admonitions. I love you guys. You are special to me.
Lastly, however I celebrated my birthday, the truth still remains that God has never stopped on watching over me. He has never stopped on pouring out blessings into my way and has never stop sending angels in everyday of my life. So yeah, no matter what the day had for us, your birthday is especially made to remind you of how special you are to God, you family and friends. this day is to make you feel extra special as you already are. Sometimes, we just need to be reminded so that we should never stop living our life to the fullest in accordance to His will.
Happy happy 22nd birthday to me ",
It surely was a rainbow of experience.